Bone Marrow Suppression; Myelosuppression
Bone Marrow Suppression
- Do not give Topotecan Hydrochloride for Injection to patients with baseline neutrophil counts less than 1,500 cells/mm3.
- In order to monitor the occurrence of bone marrow suppression, primarily neutropenia, which may be severe and result in infection and death, monitor peripheral blood cell counts frequently on all patients receiving Topotecan Hydrochloride for Injection.
- Topotecan can cause severe myelosuppression. Administer first cycle only to patients with baseline neutrophil counts of greater than or equal to 1,500/mm3 and platelet counts greater than or equal to 100,000/mm3. Monitor blood cell counts.
MONITORING RECOMMENDATIONS RELATED TO BLACK BOX DATA
- Perform frequent peripheral blood cell counts
- Do not administer if baseline neutrophil count 3 and platelet count < 100>3
Patient Counseling Information
Updated October 2018