Zalcitabine (Discontinued 2006)
- Severe peripheral neuropathy, use with extreme caution in patients with pre-existing neuropathy.
- Rarely occurs. Patients who develop symptoms suggestive of pancreatitis should suspend therapy immediately.
Monitor Lactic Acidosis & Hepatomegaly
- Reported with steatosis (including fatal cases) reported with the use of nucleoside analogues alone or in combination with other antiretrovirals
MONITORING RECOMMENDATIONS RELATED TO BLACK BOX DATA
- Patients with symptoms of hepatitis or pancreatitis should seek medical attention immediately and promptly discontinue
- Obesity and prolonged nucleoside exposure may be risk factors for lactic acidosis and severe hepatomegaly. Therapy should be suspended in patients who develop clinical or laboratory findings suggestive of lactic acidosis or pronounced hepatotoxicity.
Patient Counseling Information
Updated January 2018