QT Prolongation and Sudden Death
- Tasigna prolongs the QT interval.
- Prior to Tasigna administration and periodically, monitor for hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia and correct deficiencies (5.2). Obtain ECGs to monitor the QTc at baseline, seven days after initiation, and periodically thereafter, and following any dose adjustments (5.2, 5.3, 5.6, 5.13).
- Sudden deaths have been reported in patients receiving nilotinib (5.3). Do not administer Tasigna to patients with hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia, or long QT syndrome (4, 5.2).
- Avoid use of concomitant drugs known to prolong the QT interval and strong CYP3A4 inhibitors (5.7).
- Avoid food 2 hours before and 1 hour after taking the dose (5.8).
Patient Counseling Information
Updated January 2018