Premature Discontinuation; Spinal/Epidural Hematomas
Premature Discontinuation Increases Risk of Thronmbotic Events
- Premature discontinuation of any oral anticoagulant, including XARELTO, increases the risk of thrombotic events. If anticoagulation with XARELTO is discontinued for a reason other than pathological bleeding or completion of a course of therapy, consider coverage with another anticoagulant [see Dosage and Administration (2.2, 2.6), Warnings and Precautions (5.1), and Clinical Studies (14.1)].
Spinal/ Epidural Hematomas
Epidural or spinal hematomas have occurred in patients treated with XARELTO who are receiving neuraxial anesthesia or undergoing spinal puncture. These hematomas may result in long-term or permanent paralysis. Consider these risks when scheduling patients for spinal procedures. Factors that can increase the risk of developing epidural or spinal hematomas in these patients include:
- use of indwelling epidural catheters
- concomitant use of other drugs that affect hemostasis, such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), platelet inhibitors, other anticoagulants
- a history of traumatic or repeated epidural or spinal punctures
- a history of spinal deformity or spinal surgery
- optimal timing between the administration of XARELTO and neuraxial procedures is not known
Monitor patients frequently for signs and symptoms of neurological impairment. If neurological compromise is noted, urgent treatment is necessary [seeWarnings and Precautions (5.3)].
Consider the benefits and risks before neuraxial intervention in patients anticoagulated or to be anticoagulated for thromboprophylaxis [see Warnings and Precautions (5.3)].
Patients with Prosthetic Heart Valves
- On the basis of the GALILEO study, use of XARELTO is not recommended in patients who have had transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) because patients randomized to XARELTO experienced higher rates of death and bleeding compared to those randomized to an anti-platelet regimen. The safety and efficacy of XARELTO have not been studied in patients with other prosthetic heart valves or other valve procedures. Use of XARELTO is not recommended in patients with prosthetic heart valves.
Patient Counseling Information
XARELTO (rivaroxaban) tablet , FDA Daily Med